Italian Chapel Frescoes to be Restored
Fantastic to see the beautiful frescoes in this wee chapel are being restored. Around 500 Italian prisoners of war were brought to the Orkney Islands in the far north of Scotland in 1942 to work on the Churchill Barriers, a series of causeways which link the islands and were intended as barriers against German U-boats. There was no Catholic chapel in the POW camp, so eventually the men were given permission to build one themselves. The chapel is made out of 2 Nissan huts joined together, the façade is concrete and the superb frescoes inside were painted by one of the POWs, Domenico Chiocchetti. Today this little chapel is the only reminder of Camp 60 and in our opinion a “must see” on any Orkney tour.